Year-Long Coaching Group meeting 8 times through the year
Research indicates that up to 40% of people with diabetes suffer from a diagnosable eating disorder and many more engage in other forms of disordered eating behavior (DEB). Clients often struggle with the guilt and pain of chaotic eating in much higher numbers than the general population. In fact, on any given day you are likely encountering clients with DEB, and yet as health professionals we often have little education or experience in how to guide clients in their relationship with food and eating.
How You Can Help Your Clients Make Peace with Food
We can empower our clients by untangling the ‘knots’ of disordered eating behaviors through:
- Screening and assessing for clinical eating disorders; referring when necessary
- Affirming clients fears, frustrations and confusion about nutrition and diabetes—while dispelling the myths about diabetes and nutrition
- Teaching clients eating patterns that reduce vulnerability to disordered eating and break the restrict-binge-guilt cycle
- Using specific language and education techniques to reduce the triggers of disordered eating
- Guiding clients to trust their bodies signals through intuitive eating and mindfulness
You Have Heard Your Clients Say….
- I know what to do, I just can’t do it OR
- I don’t know what to eat!
- I’m out of control
- I’m an emotional eater
- I’m addicted to food
- I ‘cheated’ or I ‘was bad’ yesterday
- I was “good” all day and then….
Gain skills and confidence in your ability to help clients address their disordered eating as the first step in their diabetes management. This year long coaching experience is limited to 10 participants to allow for maximum support and discussion. Learning will unfold over the course of the year as we share case studies, how to respond to challenging situations, and resources for additional learning to take your practice to the next level.
Specifics about This Session:
- 8 coaching meetings over the course of a year for an in depth learning experience
- This session meets from 4:30-6:00 pm ET
- It will start on Tuesday, Oct 20, and meet on Nov 17, Jan 19, Feb 16, March 16, June 15, July 20, and Aug 17
- Sessions are live and not recorded